Sunday, November 22, 2009

SASHIMI ECSTASY

I have a friend who doesn't fancy sashimi because it's raw. Well, he'll be glad to know he's not alone in this aversion. In the West, most people are not overly fond of uncooked marine catch (more's the pity, if you ask me). 

Strangely enough, this friend of mine insists that, without sashimi, something seems to be lacking each time he tucks into yee sang. He wanted to know whether the jellyfish, salmon, cod or whatever-it-is from Neptune's kingdom could be cooked before it was mixed with the other yee sang ingredients. That, I replied, would be sacrilege, or idiocy, or both! Cooked sashimi, indeed!

I provided him with a remedy. Medium-sized prawns, steamed to perfection, then shelled and halved. They blend beautifully with the other yee sang ingredients and the sauce. My friend tried it, then insisted I was the Yee Sang Saint. 

A piece of advice to all you sashimi aficionados. Don't even dream of taking the prawns uncooked. Try it and your dream will turn into a gastronomic nightmare, I assure you!

 


-BOLDWRITER-

0 comments:

Post a Comment